[OpenIndiana-discuss] Issues with https://pkg.openindiana.org and debugging

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 09:25:42 UTC 2017

On 03/ 1/17 11:19 PM, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> there were few of you who had problems with using https://pkg.openindiana.org <https://pkg.openindiana.org/>. I would like to track down these issues, so we could slowly start moving to HTTPS-only.

I don't expect to ever move to https-only and I see that as not very
wise idea, since how many installs there are already using http. (And
for people behind proxies, aether https or http might be usable for them)
Maybe checking packages with signatures can be a nice project actually.
Using https by default could be nice, without killing http.
If people need to update, say, certificates package and there is no
working http, how they would update it if https is not working for some
reason?

I migrated back from https to http on 2 machines, to be able to update
in few previous days, so yes, I might provide error output next time it
happens, e.g. I can migrate back on https on your request and see if I
can provide output.

> However, before doing so, we need to ensure that everybody is able to HTTPS. For identifying problematic hosts, I would gladly ask people who are experiencing problems with HTTPS on pkg.openindiana.org <http://pkg.openindiana.org/> to provide me with the following outputs:
>
> pkg info userland-incorporation package/pkg crypto/ca-certificates library/python-2/pycurl library/python-2/pyopenssl library/python-2/m2crypto
>
> I was trying to reproduce the issue, but I wasn’t successful. It would also help if somebody could tell how can I get into “broken” state.

On the first machine it was OK with https, but on 2 other machines (-2,
-3) I migrated back to http:
https://mega.nz/#!7cwjDLSY!zbPkCZrGhkcXMR3rYB6Fi0y4_AGs-74l7CgG9vUXyJk
https://mega.nz/#!KcRFzayA!dVr37ptTsN_Q_clFyJsKn1WkYpgUstgti3i9yG5FjQU
https://mega.nz/#!3EIwiKpT!H1BcRrighyDmY9U06JqbaSSObXrt1v02ApDI_MDMvEs

Since now I suspected something with my lan setup, but since others
experience that too, it would be good to share error messages at least,
I will if I have one again on update.