[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana-discuss Digest, Vol 80, Issue 5

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 07:04:16 UTC 2017

On 03/ 3/17 09:38 PM, Mappack Owner wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> This message is directed to Alexander Pyhalov who replied to my "thread"
> about non-free components in illumos/OpenIndiana. I'm not sure how I
> should reply to a specific thread in a mailing list which comes as a
> daily digest. I'm sorry if this is sent to the wrong place.

Simple.
If you intend responding to a mailing list, ever, don't use daily
digest, but have subsription per-message and create a mailing list
filter in your mail client, that filter incoming mails and put all
messages from the list into one mail. folder.

That allows you not only to respond to individual messages and see
threaded topics, but also does not break threaded view for all other
list users. (When you simply hit "reply".

I usally filter by 'List-Id' in Thunderbird, but I see that Evolution
client you use can filter by 'X-BeenThere' header.
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters.html.en
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-conditions.html.en
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-conditions.html.en

So use normal subscription if you want to respond and just always hit
"reply" when responding/replying on the list.

Responding to a digested mails so that they stay in-line with threads,
depends on mail client capability, so it is safe not to use digested
mailing lists, when needing to reply to the list from the same
subscribed mail address.