[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is hipster repo slow for pkg commands

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Mar 24 22:15:09 UTC 2017

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Is hipster repo slow for pkg...:

> Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [Note: comments below NOT to be seen as load complaining]
>>>
>>> Running pkg update I've noticed that is seems really slow.  Maybe a
>>> local network mess I've made? or is the repo pretty slow?
>>

>>> During pkg update (last was Mar 3) I see speed measured in  700-900 k/s
>>> during
>>> pkg downloads, shouldn't I be seeing measurments in at least several
>>> m/s or so?
>>
>> I am on a university network and reach 10M/s.

I just did a pkg update of hipster this afternoon.  I'm on a fast university
network too, but I saw plenty of times in the same range as Harry.  My
average for the entire 560 MB update was 1.0M/s.

pkg.openindiana.org appears to be in London, so maybe it's the link to
the UK that's causing things to be slower for us.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)