[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is hipster repo slow for pkg commands

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Fri Mar 24 22:55:18 UTC 2017

On 3/24/17 3:15 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
> pkg.openindiana.org appears to be in London, so maybe it's the link to
> the UK that's causing things to be slower for us.

i get 133ms RTT to a zayo router in london from san francisco and 134ms
to pkg.openindiana.org. Given the two networks have similar response
times and they are within the norms I have come expect I am will to take
a stab at maximum throughput on the link.

at 133ms RTT we can calculate the maximum throughput as the following:
assumptions:
tcp windows size = 64k
64k => 65536 bytes 8bits/byte => 524288 bits
524288 bits/133ms => 524288 /.133 s => 3,942,015 bits/s or roughly 4mb/s

So four megabits appears to be the upper bound. Given that you are
getting one megabit, the problem is likely on the server side especially
given how pkg is a pig for performance. If this were a congestion issue
your RTTs would be higher.

Consider mirroring the repo. I probably have resources to mirror this in
the US for public use, but why is no one else doing it? Are there legal
restrictions? General fear of Oracle? Fear of encumbered software?

j.