[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Mar 27 08:40:59 UTC 2017

Trying to learn how to use mbuffer and tamp to do zfs send/receive
rather than ssh which is pretty slow even on my home gigabit lan at
home where there is very little traffic.

So far using ready made examples from posters on this group or a few I
found online I've constantly run into `connection refused' messages.

I've tried various ports which seems to make no difference. I wondered
if there is something that needs doing with the hosts to make them accept
mbuffer connections?

Send host is an HP xw8600 running bld 151_9 .. and recv host is a vm
running hipster in a vbox vm on a windows 64 host.  The windows
firewall is turned off.  And I have no firewall type stuff running on
either solaris host.

Here is an example command that I plagiarized totally from posts here
recently.

,----
| sender:
| zfs send tank/dana at snap1 | tamp | mbuffer -s 128k -m 1000m -O
| target_host:31337
|
| receiver:
| mbuffer -s 128k -m 1999m -I 31337 | tamp -d | zfs recv -vFd newtank
`----

My rendition:

zfs send p0/vb/vm at 170326_1 |tamp|mbuffer -s 128k -m1000m -0
recv-host:31337 | mbuffer -s 128k -m 1999m -I 31337 |tamp -d |
zfs recv -vF p0/vb/vm

  Gets this error:
   mbuffer warning: connecting to recv-host:31337 Connection refused
   mbuffer error unable to connect to recv-host:31337

Trying it by starting recv part on the recv host first (some advice I
found while googling (suposed to provide a listener)) seems to make no
difference.  It ends in the same error.