[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Mar 27 11:44:35 UTC 2017

On 03/27/17 04:40, Harry Putnam wrote:
> My rendition:
>
> zfs send p0/vb/vm at 170326_1 |tamp|mbuffer -s 128k -m1000m -0
> recv-host:31337 | mbuffer -s 128k -m 1999m -I 31337 |tamp -d |
> zfs recv -vF p0/vb/vm

That makes no sense at all.  The mbuffer utility doesn't produce usable
output on stdout when given a host name to connect to, and doesn't read
from stdin when given a port number.  So piping from one to the other is
confounding.  And running both on one host isn't logical.  I don't see
what you're trying to do there.

If you plan to use mbuffer between two systems, you have to run the
receiver on one host, and the sender on the other.

Start the receiver first.

If you see "connection refused" warnings, then it's time to start
looking at:

  - Is the port actually open on the receiver's side when the mbuffer
    utility?  Use "netstat -na" to look for it on the receiver after
    starting up mbuffer on that system.

  - Are you actually connecting to the host you think you are?  Make
    sure that "recv-host" actually resolves to a valid IP address on
    the receiving system, as viewed by the sender.  Typing
    "host recv-host" on the sender's side can help confirm that.

This sounds like either a usage error or a configuration problem.