[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Mar 28 16:32:54 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-27 09:33 PM, Timothy Coalson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Just a thought here, you may want to try a different ssh cipher. Give
>>> arcfour a try and see if that is fast enough for you.
>>>
>> Can that be done on ssh command line or must be done in ssh_config?
>>
>> You are transferring via mbuffer through a separate TCP connection, so
> changing the ssh cipher won't change the speed.
>
> Tim
> ____

Hi Tim.

 From my tests, arcfour produced a noticeable speed increase.  I was
digging around trying to find the numbers, but couldn't find them.

Also Harry will need to figure out what is good enough for speed. If I
am doing frequent replication, then mbuffer makes a lot of sense, but if
I am backing up a couple of times a day, then most likely an SSH
connection is good enough.

I also compress data through the SSH connection, but since Harry said he
was on a LAN compression wouldn't make sense.

Geoff