[OpenIndiana-discuss] mbuffer connection refused on varius ports ... what to try

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Tue Mar 28 20:13:39 UTC 2017

On 3/28/2017 5:24 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Timothy Coalson <tsc5yc at mst.edu> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Can that be done on ssh command line or must be done in ssh_config?
>>>
>>> You are transferring via mbuffer through a separate TCP connection, so
>> changing the ssh cipher won't change the speed.
> I think what Timothy C has in mind is dropping mbuffer/tamp and using
> ssh for the whole thing
>
>  zfs send p/fs at now | ssh RECV_HOST zfs recv p/fs

In my experience, while using mbuffer has some extra pitfalls in terms
of sockets and keeping up with things when there are issues (sometimes
leaving mbuffer's lying around, which was subsequently fixed in the
mbuffer code with SIGCHLD), it's a lot more efficient on the network and
faster to do the backups by 30%. If that isn't so important, ssh works
pretty well.