[OpenIndiana-discuss] Keyboard drama

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon May 1 07:35:03 UTC 2017

On 04/30/17 06:12 AM, Will Brokenbourgh wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been trying to run Hipster on my workstation as my daily
> driver, but after several hours the keyboard input becomes slower and
> sloweruntil it completely stops responding. For example, I will type a
> character and it will take one to two seconds before it registers
> onscreen on any program.  Obviously this is not acceptable.
>
> I have taken a look at 'top' to see if something is tying up system
> resources, but nothing sticks out.  From my last view of 'dmesg'
> nothing looks out of place there, either.  It almost seems like a
> memory leak of some sort as the effect is cumulative through time.
>
> I do not have problems with this keyboard on any other system or OS--
> only OI.  Are there any logs or other things I could lookat to see
> what in the world is going on?

Is it a laptop or a desktop, is it a PS/2 or USB, what is the keyboard,
mouse and what is the motherboard, how much RAM do you have, what apps
do you use when it happens, after what time, and what RAM they occupy.
It could sound as illumos bug to report, but yet one needs to be sure of
the applications and hardware used, so more info put into report, the
better.

I had similar problem on my laptop but was a long time ago (2 years) and
I was reporting it on IRC to illumos people and later it wasn't there
anymore.
Yesterday on PS/2 desktop I had some keyboard problems where it
activates Alt key after a long FF/Xorg session, but I can also attribute
it to possible I have a hardware issues with oldish PS/2 keyboard/mouse.
On third occasion, in some months old previous /hipster updates, on the
same machine, where USB keyboard/mouse worked just fine, I had problems
with PS/2, but after few illumos updates that is gone and not present now.
So also check if you are updated to the latest illumos (OI hipster
brings latest almost vanilla illumos) before reporting on a OI bug
tracker. (and can stay active on bug report follow-ups, so is could be
debugged).