[OpenIndiana-discuss] KOSUG in practice web-server OpenSolaris

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue May 2 05:37:23 UTC 2017

On 05/ 1/17 07:56 PM, Илья Архипкин wrote:
> Dear
> Will Brokenbourgh
>
> KOSUG abbreviation is the full name of Kirov OpenSolaris User Group here. I

Thank you very much for explaining that out, I searched the web the
other day and found your personal pages, that explain a lot your interest.
Also your english improved a lot since last letter. :)

> decided to isolate myself from the discontent of Moscow, and created by me
> MOSUG - Miass OpenSolaris User Group which is still administered by me, I

It is very nice to know there is a audience in Miass for Openindiana and
ilumos as Opensolaris continuation. Hope you will stick here and glad
you found the interest of using it.

> from the entire galaxy. The group is there but no one in the city does not
> want to try your product. All the students laughed at me were overheard by
> one friend in which I was a victim of spam. At first, like ArpaNET there
> was a mountain of spam, but the society took it and stopped itself.

Take care, not to be winded down by any kind of politics, it is a chasm
that one can hardly come out of clean, no matter how much one tries.
It's actually always about openness, source code and operating system
product that everyone can use and contribute.

About spam, as I know, there should always be some abuse at provider
addresses,using whois and dig and  plus sending spam is punishable
offense in many jurisdictions. It could be useful to report them to
provider's provider and further back, to network operators from where
spam originates, to website hosters and domain name registrars.
We had recently some scam/impersonating of a user on the list, that
comes from Vietnam, over domains and sites hosted in US, using temporary
domain names.
Mentioning the beginnings of internet it is widely known that only way
to set standards in a growing community of free communicating people is
to remind newcomers of simple rules of being on-topic.

Mentioning being on-topic, I now understand that your topic is about
using Openindiana/illumos for web server and fighting the spam and
creating an maintaining user groups. :)
About second one, It is good to also look at things more globally,
having same-language spoken people to be started with, but not limiting
to it, but truly have many people around world is truly valuable.
I suggest to point out technical benefits of running illumos
distributions , where people usually ask questions that goes into
technical details and that is exciting path toward new users and
contributors. :)