[OpenIndiana-discuss] Annoying mouse twitchyness [Mate]

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat May 6 16:41:21 UTC 2017

On May 6, 2017 5:28:21 PM GMT+03:00, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 06:32:36PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your input... I found the the things you mentioned.
>>
>> The mouse seems pretty sluggish now and still pretty jumpy too but it
>> is somewhat better... probably about half as difficult to select the
>> corner of an application window as it was before inserting your
>> file... so thanks very much.
>
>At least we are on the right track.  The real problem seems to be that
>the GUI tools for adjusting mouse settings do not work.  Somebody with
>more knowledge of X11 input devices that I should be able to tell us
>why this is so.

Another option might be to use gamers' mice with a hardware button to select DPI sensitivity. In games it is for e.g. fast movement vs. steady sniping, and in work it may also reduce the effect of unsteady hands on pointer movement when you need precision (e.g. to catch those window corners). Likewise, a touchpad or trackball may be an acceptable out-of-universe solution ;)

FWIW, on my Virtualbox setup of OI Hipster I also remember issues with resizing via bottom corners (seems the catchment area is just 1-2 pixels at best - but I don't do this often so details may evade my memory), while the titlebar corners are more useable in this regard. So I find myself dragging the window down, manipulating its size via top corners, and dragging it back up to position. Or using the window context menu and keyboard to resize (not sure I did this in MATE or some other WMs though).

HTH,
Jim Klimov
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android