[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot install or uninstall Vbox older version blocking the way

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed May 10 23:27:13 UTC 2017

I was working toward rounding up information as to why recent vbox
versions are not installable (in gui format), on openindiana

As I recall it had to do with vbox recent builds depending on a gcc
install older than that installed on hipster ... at least since 161030
releases.

I hoped to record the failure messages and then go to vbox gmane group
and post the problems I ran into, asking for advice and maybe asking
why vbox cannot use a newer gcc.  Or at least learning of some
workaround.

But apparently, Somehow in my tinkering back when I first ran into
being unable to install a recent version I kept trying older and older
ones.

This was ... several weeks ago now. Back then, blundering around, I
managed to get vbox 5.0.36 partially installed.

So when I went to run thru installing the newest 5.1.22...I'm told
there is a VBox already installed... so `pkgrm SUNWvbox', but that fails
with what sounds like an unusual error (Failed to parse the Solaris
kernel major version):

  pkgrm SUNWvbox

  The following package is currently installed:
     SUNWvbox  Oracle VM VirtualBox
               (i386) 5.0.36,REV=2017.03.15.20.44.114008
  Do you want to remove this package? [y,n,?,q] y

  ## Removing installed package instance <SUNWvbox>
  (A previous attempt may have been unsuccessful.)

  This package contains scripts which will be executed with super-user
  permission during the process of removing this package.

  Do you want to continue with the removal of this package [y,n,?,q] y
  ## Verifying package <SUNWvbox> dependencies in global zone
  ## Processing package information.
  ## Executing preremove script.
  Removing VirtualBox services and drivers...

  ## Failed to parse the Solaris kernel major version.
  ## Failed.
  pkgrm: ERROR: preremove script did not complete successfully

  Removal of <SUNWvbox> failed.

And I never get the prompt back .. having to ^c to get the prompt.

Isn't the kernel major version something that should be easily parsed?

Maybe this is really about a different failure?

Unlikely that it would be helpful, but I did try removing all evidence
of Virtualbox at /opt but it had no effect.

svcs -a doesn't turn up anything with vbox in the name... I'm not sure
how to track down the bits that are blocking things up.