[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot install or uninstall Vbox older version blocking the way

Will Brokenbourgh will.brokenbourgh2877 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 00:22:13 UTC 2017

On 05/10/2017 04:27 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I was working toward rounding up information as to why recent vbox
> versions are not installable (in gui format), on openindiana
>
> As I recall it had to do with vbox recent builds depending on a gcc
> install older than that installed on hipster ... at least since 161030
> releases.
>
> I hoped to record the failure messages and then go to vbox gmane group
> and post the problems I ran into, asking for advice and maybe asking
> why vbox cannot use a newer gcc.  Or at least learning of some
> workaround.
>
> But apparently, Somehow in my tinkering back when I first ran into
> being unable to install a recent version I kept trying older and older
> ones.
>
> This was ... several weeks ago now. Back then, blundering around, I
> managed to get vbox 5.0.36 partially installed.
>

> So when I went to run thru installing the newest 5.1.22...I'm told
> there is a VBox already installed... so `pkgrm SUNWvbox', but that fails
> with what sounds like an unusual error (Failed to parse the Solaris
> kernel major version):
>
>    pkgrm SUNWvbox
>
>    The following package is currently installed:
>       SUNWvbox  Oracle VM VirtualBox
>                 (i386) 5.0.36,REV=2017.03.15.20.44.114008
>    Do you want to remove this package? [y,n,?,q] y
>
>    ## Removing installed package instance <SUNWvbox>
>    (A previous attempt may have been unsuccessful.)
>
>    This package contains scripts which will be executed with super-user
>    permission during the process of removing this package.
>
>    Do you want to continue with the removal of this package [y,n,?,q] y
>    ## Verifying package <SUNWvbox> dependencies in global zone
>    ## Processing package information.
>    ## Executing preremove script.
>    Removing VirtualBox services and drivers...
>
>    ## Failed to parse the Solaris kernel major version.
>    ## Failed.
>    pkgrm: ERROR: preremove script did not complete successfully
>
>    Removal of <SUNWvbox> failed.
>
> And I never get the prompt back .. having to ^c to get the prompt.
>
> Isn't the kernel major version something that should be easily parsed?
>
> Maybe this is really about a different failure?
>
> Unlikely that it would be helpful, but I did try removing all evidence
> of Virtualbox at /opt but it had no effect.
>
> svcs -a doesn't turn up anything with vbox in the name... I'm not sure
> how to track down the bits that are blocking things up.

Hi again Harry,

Make sure to do:

   sudo find /var -name "*vbox*"

...and that will reveal the little bits that haven't been properly
removed.  I had the same problems as you, and after removing those bits
(and rebooting, I think), I was able to get the special OI contributed
VirtualBox installed after failed attempts with 'stock' VirtualBox
packages from virtualbox.org

Sincerely,

Will Brokenbourgh
Oregon, USA