[OpenIndiana-discuss] Peculiar behavior when start running vbox vms

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun May 14 12:52:20 UTC 2017

Kees Nuyt <k.nuyt at zonnet.nl> writes:

> By default, the right Ctrl key is assigned to the VBox "Host" key,
> and totally captured by VBox whenever a VM window has the focus.
> The left Ctrl key should behave as usual.
> https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#idm8607

Not related far as I can tell, its the left I mostly use and as a long
time vbox vm user on severl different OS HOSTS I'm familiar with the
host key stuff.

Even when focus is grabbed by a vm, The Ctrl key does not become
useless inside that vm... you just can't get outside the vm... until
you press the HOST KEY and even that is not a problem here... my
settings allow the mouse to go between host and guest seamlessly.

So not related to vbox host key stuff.

What I'm seeing ... is when focused inside a vm... both left and right
ctrl do not function at all.  That is, I cannot do a ^c to break out
of something in an xterm.

Inside a vm:

In firefox Ctl-d usually creates a bkmark but if I open FF in a vm,
ctl-d just types a letter `d'

redo in vim Ctl-r does nothing at all.

^c in xterm just types a letter `c'

Emacs is nearly helpless with no control keys.

In Emacs:
Opening a file: Ctrl-x Ctrl-f etc, etc anything involving Ctrl key does
not work...