[OpenIndiana-discuss] Peculiar behavior when start running vbox vms

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu May 18 14:27:49 UTC 2017

Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:

[...]

> OK, getting to the chase:  In every one of those vms the Ctrl key on
> std 104 key US keyboard does not work.  Needless to say such things as vim
> and emacs suffer severely when Ctrl does not work.
>
> Even the xterms I use a lot, suffer with no capablility to for INT Ctrl-c, or
> ^c.
>
> I'm guessing the main OS (oi-hipster) has in someway hijacked
> exclusive use of CTRL key.  But I have no idea how to begin to fix
> this.

It turns out the above statement was right.  The way the HOST os
hi-jacked the ctrl key:

In the preference settings under: Preferences => hdware => mouse

There is a check box at `Locate Pointer'
   <show postition of pointer when control is pressed>

I had it checked.  Unchecking that box will free the control key to work
inside Vbox vms.

I found this while googling on the problem where a linux user had the
same problem and eventually discovered a solution that worked for me too.

   https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=10226#p40593