[OpenIndiana-discuss] To the OmniOS, OI and SmartOS community

Guenther Ernst Alka gea at napp-it.org
Thu May 18 19:55:15 UTC 2017

hello Peter

Thank you for your comment.
You have a better insight view into communities and distributions than I.
My view is mostly a storage related user view and from that pure Illumos
features are ok. A GUI or LX zones are really nice but not essential and
no one
would hinder to add LX to OI or Mate to OmniOS.

I mainly want to trust a distribution to survive and to care about bugs.
Currently we have a OmniOS LTS and the next one is due 2019.
Until then we need a OmniOS to maintain the current LTS.

But the question on what the next OmniOS is based onto must be
answered now, not in two years or when work is mostly done .
The future of OmniOS as a stable free Illumos is insecure enough.

best regards

Gea