[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with some error while upgrading to latest open indiana

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu May 25 18:10:49 UTC 2017

Zoltan Farkas via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> writes:

> I am trying to upgrade to latest openindiana, I am getting some
> errors due to some lib being obsolete. any help appreciated, here is
> the detail:

[...]

I think the sort of normal advice I've seen here is if possible do an
install from scratch.

I just made the move you are attempting about 1.5 mnths ago.  First I
tried doing an upgrade in a vm I had on another machine from 151* to
hipster.

I did not work, but I've lost track of the problems that came up.

I was leery of bringing down my solaris host to do a `from scratch'
install, imagining all kinds of things I might run into and then the
machine would be down for who knows how long.

I'm pretty inexperienced with solaris and openindiana.

But I braved up and tried it.  I used the 161030 iso, and really had
no trouble getting thru it.

This is on an HP xw8600 workstation.

So, although I really did not answer your question:

  I was pleasantly surprised, so I'd recommend you try `from scratch'.
  Unless your hardware has already proven itself to be seriously
  troublesome.