[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with some error while upgrading to latest open indiana

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu May 25 19:30:56 UTC 2017

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with some error while upgrading to...:

> I am trying to upgrade to latest openindiana, I am getting some errors
> due to some lib being obsolete. any help appreciated, here is the
> detail:
>
> # uname -a
> SunOS hostname 5.11 oi_151a9 i86pc i386 i86pc
>
> I have my publisher set to:
>
> # pkg publisher
> PUBLISHER                             TYPE     STATUS   URI
> openindiana.org                       origin   online   http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/ <http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster/>

I was able to upgrade/convert from oi151a9 to hipster and have been
very happy with the results.  However, I did the upgrade last summer,
and it involved an intermediate step -- I didn't try go directly from
oi151a9 to latest hipster.

Timothy Coalson has already posted a link to the wiki article that
outlines what is involved.

I also posted a lengthy email to the mailing list last year that outlined
a few of the issues I ran into while following the procedure.  Nikola and
Alp and others followed up with helpful suggestions and great information.
Here's the start of that thread:

 	https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2016-June/019061.html

I would encourage you to have good backups (and they're not good unless
you've tested them), and gather information about your system (like
services enabled, packages installed, etc.) before you start the process.

Multiple people on the list have succeeded in this process, but it
requires multiple steps and careful attention to detail.  It's a lengthy
process, so be certain you allow plenty of time.

I'm very happy with the results of the process, and with hipster in
general.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)