[OpenIndiana-discuss] recompiling a program for openindiana

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 08:06:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to recompile a program called srm (available on sourceforge )
> for openindiana. It works as rm but makes sure that there is no trace of
> the destroyed file in the blocks of the free list.
> This program uses #if defined (__linux__) and  #if defined (__OpenBSD__)
> and I should replace this code with something appropriate for openindiana.
> __linux__ etc are predifines preprocessor macros, presented in
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/OperatingSystems/
>
> However, I do not see openindiana in there, so what should I use ?

Note that if you're using ZFS (which is the default file system on
OpenIndiana) then
the overwriting which srm does will have no effect - the copy-on-write
mechanism
that ZFS uses for data integrity ensures that the "overwrite" will go to a
different,
unused, part of the device. Therefore, srm won't do any good.

--
-Peter Tribble