[OpenIndiana-discuss] recompiling a program for openindiana

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Mon Nov 20 09:51:23 UTC 2017

On 20/11/17 09:06, Peter Tribble wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Marc Lobelle<marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to recompile a program called srm (available on sourceforge )
>> for openindiana. It works as rm but makes sure that there is no trace of
>> the destroyed file in the blocks of the free list.
>> This program uses #if defined (__linux__) and  #if defined (__OpenBSD__)
>> and I should replace this code with something appropriate for openindiana.
>> __linux__ etc are predifines preprocessor macros, presented in
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/OperatingSystems/
>>
>> However, I do not see openindiana in there, so what should I use ?
>>
> Note that if you're using ZFS (which is the default file system on
> OpenIndiana) then
> the overwriting which srm does will have no effect - the copy-on-write
> mechanism
> that ZFS uses for data integrity ensures that the "overwrite" will go to a
> different,
> unused, part of the device. Therefore, srm won't do any good.
Hum, this means that bcrypt will not erase the original file after
encrypying it either and the file must be decrypted to be used. How can
I make sure that its contents cannot be recovered on zfs then ? (apart
from writing the zfs encryption code that is missing in illumos zfs ; it
will have to be done eventually but I'm looking for an interim solution).

Thanks

Marc