[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some opt to open their systems while others don't

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 05:18:30 UTC 2017

On 10/ 1/17 10:03 AM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I don't believe that this page is anything new.
>
> OS X has been open since the beginning, with the exclusion of their
> "Aqua" GUI, or what ever it is currently called.

Yes, open source core of Apple's OS is called Darwin and were published
regularly by Apple all these years. Darwin had some open distributions,
but they couldn't be fully compatible with OSX/MacOS because of those
proprietary GUI libraries etc.
I wonder what is new here, since Apple publish it in open (while adding
their proprietary parts when making a producst) for quite some time.. Ah
yes, their core of ARM OSes is now open as well..

Even it created success and big income for the company, I think that
proprietary/one hardware producer combination does not work on market
anymore.
Yeah, some of their products are great, yet always overpriced and in
Europe. Apple, since it's beginning, lacked with support, availability,
prices and market philosophy and any real presence worth mentioning.

Last time I got excited about any Apple product is when they still had
rainbow-apple logos on their cases. :) .. and that was the time before
multimedia PCs and free software operating systems.
My first OS on internet was Linux with X and Netscape in 1995/6 and
since then I knew how much everything proprietary basically does not
need a reason to exist.

While Microsoft killed Nokia and let go the brand and hardware business
to the other company, for the next 10 years, and violently killed open
source Symbian project as their strategic move to kill opponents, now
Windows phone is killed by Microsoft (by as soon as 2018)
So controlling platform tightly and keep it proprietary, is more the way
to the abyss then to the bright future of any product, software or
hardware one.

About free vs proprietary, Openindiana/illumos currently uses Nvidia
proprieatary drivers for desktop graphics cards and even they funcion
great and Nvidia have probably best long term proprietary driver
support, AMD lacks same level of commitment , but AMD now have open
source drivers that could be supported and maintained by illumos
community, so more effort and people is needed on making them work..

Maybe real reaction on this is: Any volunteers to continue porting of
illumos to ARM? :)