[OpenIndiana-discuss] Goodbye OpenIndiana

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 09:19:17 UTC 2017

On 10/ 4/17 08:36 PM, Илья Архипкин wrote:
> Hello Nikola
>
>> Do I understand right, that there were some copyright issues on teaching
>> material, with some Java courses you were taking? I bet if they would be
>> using their own materials, or freely accessible ones no one can stop
>> them teaching..
>> Not to say that 'system programming' is not done with Java at all, but I
>> guess something got lost in translation.
>> And to joke a bit about about it, Steve Balmer (From MSoft) said :
>> "Everything is an OS". I guess free software community knows better.

It is also a mistery to me that you (and many others) haven't learn to
hit "Reply" button in your e-mail client application, instead of
creating new thread on mailing list with every response.
I know it is the age of ^%& web mail clients, but hitting reply even
there to stay inside thread shouldn't be hard. :)

> In that case and there were materials only an independent remote approach
> that first brought up basic knowledge, and then passing some time the
> courses became paid, I just had a lot of money that I offered to donate to
> the community when the system was closed. But Alex Grebenshchikov, the
> administrator of the Kirov community, offered me courses
> http://knowledgeblackbelt.com/#!User/iljaarkhipkin In where he was my
> curator.

I don't get it, but whatever, I suppose you then, have some kind of
expertize in Java now?
Maybe that could be used to fix something if that is the case.

> I bought the system advertising back in May 2008, I was simply
> struck by the existence of a system different from Microsoft. And when I
> moved to Linux, I did not have a memory leak.

Yeah those revelations come few times in life, and the new possibilities
are opened with every day :)

> I was amazed by Solaris,
> which even on the server downloaded memory at the start of 8 gigabytes. On
> a computer with a memory of 4 gigabytes, it occupied again half.

That is because beack in the day of Opensolaris, memory settings for ZFS
caches were set for larger boxes by default. I am not sure wither it is
similar today for Openindiana, but if one have large unused RAM, why not
use it to speed up disk operations? :)
It is the point of ZFS with moving from proprietary RAID disk
controllers, with dedicated RAM on card and battery, to using RAM and
not depending on specific disk controller at all for RAID, having
ability to move disks across different machines and controllers with
ease and control disks directly by an OS.

> I found
> her application as a system that works on the Internet and without viruses. I

As some Wikileaks revelations shows, for every OS, including Solaris and
it's new breed, there is specialized tool or virus to break in.
It's the same as with Linux and other free software platforms and
distros, that the fact that one can use only free software, downloaded
and installed from repositories compiled from the source and that every
change in the upstream application repositories is carefully checked by
their maintainers.
If not downloading binary apps from unchecked third parties, then one
shoudl be mostly fine, except with source code misbehavior, that wasn't
checked for years.
Like that Debian problem with creating weak SSL certificates, that
weakened whole internet security of many sites for years, simply because
of the oversight of maintainers.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2008/msg00152.html

Debian has a good philosophy, if I would choose linux and others do
something not that good, I would be on Debian. Actually probably on
Devuan, because they don't use systemd overpowering the whole OS.
https://devuan.org/
Think that was much better then Linux/Debian side and I think still is,
is better technology OI has, with Boot environments and ZFS and other
ABI stability for drivers, that bring much lower maintenance to one's
setup over time. Sure it is not always in benefit of illumos when
comparing and things got different over time, but the sense of stability
that illumos has is hardly replaced by other platforms.

> did not understand my pre-entry in a community where newcomers do not teach
> system programming in C. That is the process of recruitment and
> requirements to us,

Yes, the process of introduction and teaching to newcomers is very
important.
Ones that mastered that, can pick up fruits of good ways of dealing with
people , very fast.

> where anyone can get to and take a microphone and speak
> freely.

Being able to speak freely and discuss anything it the cornerstone of
every community, but unfortunately that absolute freedom it is not
always applied nor enforced, not even here.
There is always someone that wants to take away your freedom of speech,
contributing and limit ability to address others.  And OI is not the
exception of that.

let's close tis thread with "Goodby" stuff. I see that goodby messages
as a form of trolling actually..

Frankly, moving away from illumos to Debian or Devuan sounds to me like
kind of changing a good horse to something less perfect. It can run but
can not jump. If it jumps, it doesn't jump elegantly and breaks leg much
more often etc.
Plus illumos is much better for using it in mixed solution environments,
because of it's weak copyleft CDDL permitting linking other-licensed
file-based components, that isn't there in Linux. And is much better in
"create proprietary" way of BSD's de-licensing.