[OpenIndiana-discuss] Need information about hipster printing

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 19 13:12:49 UTC 2017

I did a search for a document on hipster printing, but found nothing.
Did I miss something?

All of the cups documents tell you to do all the configuration from
the local cups web server.  That's fine, but I need information that's
specfic to hipster.

Which packages do I install to get the correct software?  Which
services do I enable or disable to get the correct services?

Finally, how do I configure cups printing, in several common
scenarios?  A step-by-step procedure would be better than the
trial-and-error method.

The first is for a directly-attached printer.  I believe that that
can be done entirely from the local cups web server.

The second scenario is for a network printer.  I believe that this
too can be done from the web server.

The third one is for a relay server, a more complex configuration,
but the one that I needed.  I wanted one system to send print jobs
to the printer, but all other systems on my home network to send
print jobs across the network to that one system, the relay server.

I couldn't get an ipp connection from a cups client to work.  Has
anybody succeeded?  What was I missing?

I did get an lp connection to work.  I had to enable the CUPS Line
Printer Daemon mini-server on the relay server.  I also had to create
the home directory for the lp user.  After those two changes, relaying
from a print client began to work.  Is any of this documented
anyplace?