[OpenIndiana-discuss] Need information about hipster printing

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:51:58 UTC 2017

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Need information about hipster...:

> I couldn't get an ipp connection from a cups client to work.  Has
> anybody succeeded?  What was I missing?

Probably that the default configuration is to listen only on localhost,
not on your network:

$ sudo lsof -i TCP | egrep -i 'ipp'
cupsd      1648   root    9u  IPv6 0xffffff0d09ebf840       0t0  TCP localhost:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd      1648   root   10u  IPv4 0xffffff0d1c9217c0       0t0  TCP localhost:ipp (LISTEN)

You can change that in cupsd.conf, probably with the service shut down:

Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups-socket

The 'localhost' needs to change, the cups documentation for "Listen"
has examples for what you need.  I don't remember off the top of my
head if it's * or just empty, so check the docs.

> I did get an lp connection to work.  I had to enable the CUPS Line
> Printer Daemon mini-server on the relay server.

I would only do that if one of your clients can't speak ipp.  If
everything can speak IPP, you shouldn't need the lpd-to-cups shim.  Once
you've made cupsd listen on the network, obviously.

>  I also had to create
> the home directory for the lp user.

Huh.  I never noticed that, but it appears that's a problem with the
package.  You should file a bug report in the OI bug tracker.

>  After those two changes, relaying
> from a print client began to work.  Is any of this documented
> anyplace?

Other than the package names, this isn't too different from the same
setup on a Linux or BSD box, so a large portion of the documentation
for those platforms should be directly applicable.

Filtering (print job format conversion and delivering the job to the
printer) has always been a black art; I would expect the lion's share
of the trouble to be there.

I will say that I'm aware of a Solaris/OI specific issue in hp-lip
that causes problems for network-based printers.  It's basically
the same problem as described on NetBSD here:

 	https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2013/09/30/msg015614.html

By applying a really ugly hack, it's possible to make 'net' printers
appear with hp-lip.  That's probably just a nicety, though, as there are
other ways to define the printer that doesn't use a 'hp:/net/something' as
a device URI.

Not knowing what kind of printer(s) you plan to send jobs to, I don't
know if that will impact you or not.

If you run into issues or have specific questions, send them to the list.
I'll take a look (as I have time) and see if I can help.  I've spent a lot
of time wrangling printers and running large, busy print servers in a
complex environment, so I may be able to help.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)