[OpenIndiana-discuss] Need information about hipster printing

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 20 01:56:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:51:58PM -0500, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Need information about hipster...:
>
> >I couldn't get an ipp connection from a cups client to work.  Has
> >anybody succeeded?  What was I missing?
>
> Probably that the default configuration is to listen only on localhost,
> not on your network:
[...]
> You can change that in cupsd.conf, probably with the service shut down:
>
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen /var/run/cups-socket

It didn't even have those, just this line:

    Listen /var/run/cups-socket

Here's what `pfiles' says:

   9: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:556,0 ino:10801 uid:0 gid:0 rdev:0,0
      O_RDWR FD_CLOEXEC
	SOCK_STREAM
	SO_REUSEADDR,SO_SNDBUF(49152),SO_RCVBUF(128000)
	sockname: AF_INET6 ::  port: 631
  10: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:556,0 ino:43923 uid:0 gid:0 rdev:0,0
      O_RDWR FD_CLOEXEC
	SOCK_STREAM
	SO_REUSEADDR,SO_SNDBUF(49152),SO_RCVBUF(128000)
	sockname: AF_INET 0.0.0.0  port: 631
  11: S_IFSOCK mode:0666 dev:556,0 ino:14124 uid:0 gid:0 rdev:0,0
      O_RDWR FD_CLOEXEC
	SOCK_STREAM
	SO_REUSEADDR,SO_SNDBUF(16384),SO_RCVBUF(5120)
	sockname: AF_UNIX /var/run/cups-socket

Those first two are probably okay: the zero address means to listen to
everything.

Maybe I changed something.  There are three settings that I don't
understand:

    Share printers connected to this system
    Allow printing from the internet
    Advertize web interface

I have them all checked now.  I'll see if another client can make
an ipp connection to the print server.

> >I did get an lp connection to work.  I had to enable the CUPS Line
> >Printer Daemon mini-server on the relay server.
>
> I would only do that if one of your clients can't speak ipp.  If
> everything can speak IPP, you shouldn't need the lpd-to-cups shim.  Once
> you've made cupsd listen on the network, obviously.

Thanks.  I'll try that.  It's a separate service that I can easily
disable.

> > I also had to create
> >the home directory for the lp user.
>
> Huh.  I never noticed that, but it appears that's a problem with the
> package.  You should file a bug report in the OI bug tracker.

I'll do that.  I've seen that error before, whenever a daemon ran
as a non-root user.

> Other than the package names, this isn't too different from the same
> setup on a Linux or BSD box, so a large portion of the documentation
> for those platforms should be directly applicable.

Yes, the service names and package names are different.

> Not knowing what kind of printer(s) you plan to send jobs to, I don't
> know if that will impact you or not.

It's an HP m1536dnf MFP with Postscript.  I've had it for several
years, and have been very pleased with it.  The cups print server
has a socket connection to the printer.  I've never had a problem
with that style of connection.

> If you run into issues or have specific questions, send them to the list.
> I'll take a look (as I have time) and see if I can help.  I've spent a lot
> of time wrangling printers and running large, busy print servers in a
> complex environment, so I may be able to help.

I used to do that too, before I retired.  It was all System V print
spooling then.