[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Intro questions

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Oct 23 17:20:07 UTC 2017

Thanks for the information on OmniOS, Gary.

Just looked at it and it seems that operations were suspended on April 21,
2017.

In the past, I can already use something like Hyper-V, Proxmox, and others
to run a GUI application in a container and then remote into it with RDP
and VNC, for example from another machine. My twist on the project is that
I would like to use one of the IllumOS dialects such that I could have one
of the zones/containers have an X-Server that would passthrough to the
actual video hardware so that I could use a VNC viewer, for example, on the
same system as the other containers that are running so that I could remote
into them as needed all from a single system. I did not want to have one
system for the running containers/zones and another for the remote viewer,
if at all possible.

Just some thoughts, though.
Cheers,
Lonnie