[OpenIndiana-discuss] Attempting to mirror and expand an rpool do I have old bootloader

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Sep 10 22:51:11 UTC 2017

I created a vbox vm running oi a while back, just for some
experiments... over time I've begun to add to it and do more with it.
I'm finding my original rpool, on a vbox disc of 34 gb has nearly run
out of space.

Rather than reinstalling with bigger disks I hoped to mirror and
expand the existing rpool.

Looking at the doc with some instructions here:
  https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2.1+Post-installation

Where a bug: (https://www.illumos.org/issues/6160#change-15117) is
mentioned.  And then following the link to discussion of the bug. .

I was not able to tell what actually happened.  Was the bug number
just changed and it is still a problem

Do we still have to do manual installation of grub on x86?

Or does the claim made of

  `ZFS handles mirroring rpools automagically (see:
  /etc/sysevent/config/SUNW,EC_zfs,ESC_ZFS_bootfs_vdev_attach,sysevent.conf)
  It will install grub onto the new attached disk.'

Now hold true even for x86?

Where can I find a definitive description of how to grow an rpool and
how to mirror an rpool that is consistent with current state of
development at 09/2017?

Or is it the case that I'd be better off just scrapping the vm and
reinstall with larger disks.

But even if I do that, it still remains how to create the rpool mirror
in the current development environment

One final question..: I remember seeing it said on this list a while back,
(sorry .. I don't have a citation) that an rpool mirror can be created
during install now.  Do I have that wrong?

I just did an install from the 170502 ISO, but did not see any way to
do something like that.