[OpenIndiana-discuss] No rootfs module provided

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 13:36:31 UTC 2017

On 09/10/17 05:16 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> I've tried it both ways, but both seem to behave the same way.  It's
> possible that the motherboard is trying UEFI first, and then BIOS
> emulation if that fails.

That could be the case, but you could contact your motherboard technical
support for more info/report the problem in firmware.
Also newer build of illumos ISO wouldn't hurt.. (I know newest one is
one for testing install into BE)

> The problem seems to be in the loader or in the memory map of the
> motherboard.  I'm using two 4-gig DIMMS.  I'm getting some help from
> Toomas Soome, who knows about these two things.
Yeah, that's the right address.
> I've run Memtest86-7.4 on this machine for several hours.  It reported
> no errors.  It did identify the CPU and DIMMs correctly.  I did have
> to boot Memtest86-7.4 in UEFI mode.  It didn't work at all with BIOS
> emulation.

Yes, but I think this new Memtest86 build they have is supposed to also
test ECC functionality (with errors injection and correction durign the
test).
Actually I think that their primary reason for requesting testing is to
see if their testing app boots on motherboards at all and ECC is second
for them.

>> Can you contact me privately, so we can work out ECC RAM testing on
>> Ryzen with those test builds, since you already have a hardware
>> (Asus MB supports it)?
> I'd be happy to try the test builds.

Ok, I will send you PM with details, once they respond with a testing
binary.
So then aether you can contact them directly, or I can relay test build
binaries to you.

It would be interesting to see how that ECC UDIMM support works for AMD
Ryzen,
up till now I got information only form ASUS as motherboard producer,
that states that all MB's that officially work with ECC RAM, work in ECC
mode, but pointed to other sources for test application, like Memtest86.

There's also AMD Ryzen PRO now (same CPU, but with Encryption subsystem
that encrypts/decrypts RAM contents, in so that OS doesn't knwo anything
about it, so doesn't require OS support for it.
It is still unknown if in that pass-through mode cpu can detect and
solve memory errors by himself and how support for that encryption-aware
mode goes across OSes.