[OpenIndiana-discuss] migrate rpool to new larger disk with newer bootloader in place

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Sep 9 06:37:19 UTC 2017

The HOST this query is about is a recently updated hipster rpool.
Running as vbox guest on windows 10 host.

I started out with what I now see is too small of a disk for rpool.
Currently 35 GB... and it appears 31 GB is already in use.
I'd like to move to around a 70-80 GB disk.

Since I'm dealing with a vm, the sky is the limit on what size disk or
how many etc to use.

Looking around in our documentation I notice it is hard to tell
quickly and easily if the directions are for oi prior to change to new
boot loader or not.

I don't want to get confused and end up with the old style boot
loader.

The current OS, and rpool was installed around June of this year and
unless I screwed it up during install, has the newer bootloader
installed.

Now to add some more to the query...

I'd really like to eventually end up with a mirrored rpool on 80gb
matched disks.

I would rather do that right now unless it makes things harder to do
with confidence.  My skill level is somewhere below basement level.

I can imagine I would start by adding 2 matched 80GB disks to current
setup.

Create a mirrored zpool from that.  Then migrate the rpool from its
current 35 GB disk to the mirrored pair of 80gb discs.

However, I'd be pretty much lost from that point as to how to get the
rest done neatly.

Hopefully someone can supply a brief outline of how to go at this.

Or perhaps just pointers to documentation that is not pre newer
bootloader by someone who knows which docs would be best for this.