[OpenIndiana-discuss] help needed: reinstall bootloader

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 06:43:44 UTC 2018

On 04/13/18 11:27 PM, Till Wegmüller wrote:
> Hi Stephan
>
> Is this a Linux dualboot machine?
>
> Linux has the tendency to overwrite the device section of a zpool when
> importing. /dev/sdc looks like a linux name.
>
> If so you may have killed that zpool by importing it from linux.
> AFAIK there is currently no good solution to fix the device name entry.

Except from, booting from Live media (DVD,USB) , importing pool and
exporting pool and reboot?

> Also be sure to stick to either slices or partitions p1 != s1 in your
> commands.
> One is the traditional Solaris Slice layout of the disk the other the
> Partitions in DOS style. They do not mix at all.

It means there is a difference if partitions are created under
illumos/Solaris and Linux.
up to 4 'Slices' can fit insite standard(MBR) partition and when
creating ZFS partition from OI, it creates one slice inside partition
for ZFS.
And that is not the same as having ZFS on top of partition.
So it is better to create partition aether during illumos install (and
not before install) because of that difference.

I had a problem with reinstalling illumos loader while retaining MBR
partition, With ZFS on it without slice on partition.
Would need to re-check if that works now, but it is always better to
create ZFS partition with illumos fdisk or OI Install process.

And also there is the question weather Hard disk cache is turned on if
ZFS uses partition and not the whole drive. Previoiusly, Hard disk
caching used to be turned OFF if ZFS is on partition and not on the
whole drive, for UFS compatibility.
Don't know how it is now nor how to explicitlycheck/turn ON Hard disk
caching if ZFS pool uses partition on drive.