[OpenIndiana-discuss] nsswitch.conf

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 13:05:10 UTC 2018

Hi

In Illumos based systems smf configuration did not happen as much as in
Solaris. Due to the fact that solaris closed before the change was
complete in the open-source base.

I Usually have no problem manually editing nsswitch.conf. However I
usually copy nsswitch.dns to nsswitch.conf and nothing more. But it
never reverted after reboot.

That behaviour is most probably caused by a service. There are multiple
ones that edit nsswitch.conf or copy the dns version in place.

My gueses for the culprit are "svc:/network/service:default" and nwam.

For NWAM make sure you are using "svc:/network/physical:default" instead
of "svc:/network/physical:nwam" otherwise nwam fingers into stuff you
might not want.

for "svc:/network/service:default" have a look at the start script and
see what the shellscript accepts as modified nsswitch so it does not
overwrite your changes.

Hope this helps.
Greetings
Till