[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to set the domain name?

Hubert Garavel hubert.garavel at inria.fr
Fri Dec 7 18:27:46 UTC 2018

Hello,

As a new OpenIndiana user, I face problems setting the domain name.
I could not find any solution in the doc nor mailing lists.

These are my findings:

- The OI installer asks for the node name and sets it, but does
  not ask for the domain name (contrary to Oracle Solaris installers).

- Consequently, the domainname(1) command returns " " just after
  the machine has been installed. In my opinion, this is a bug
  (empty string would be ok, but not a white space).

- The identity service seems ok:
	$ svcs | grep domain
	online ... svc:/system/identity:domain

- /lib.svc/manifest/system/identity.xml indicates
  <instance name='node' enabled='true'>
  <instance name='domain' enabled='false'>

- I can set the domain name to XXX by typing "XXX". But this
  vanishes at the next reboot.

- I can create a file /etc/defaultdomain, but it is deleted at
  the next reboot. (Notice that /etc/nodename also exists and is
  not deleted at reboot)

- So far, my best guess was
     $ svcadm disable svc:/system/identity:domain
     $ echo "dom.org" > /etc/defaultdomain
     $ svcadm enable svc:/system/identity:domain
     $ domainname
     dom.org
  but again /etc/defaultdomain is destroyed at the next reboot.

Any hint? Thanks

Hubert GARAVEL -- http://convecs.inria.fr/people/Hubert.Garavel