[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to set the domain name?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 7 18:46:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 07:27:46PM +0100, Hubert Garavel wrote:

> As a new OpenIndiana user, I face problems setting the domain name.
> I could not find any solution in the doc nor mailing lists.
>
> These are my findings:
>
> - The OI installer asks for the node name and sets it, but does
>   not ask for the domain name (contrary to Oracle Solaris installers).
>
> - Consequently, the domainname(1) command returns " " just after
>   the machine has been installed. In my opinion, this is a bug
>   (empty string would be ok, but not a white space).

That's the NIS domain name.  Unless the system is a NIS client,
you don't need it.

You can either use a fully-qualified host name, which is now
recommended, or you can set the DNS domain name in /etc/resolv.conf .

The latter you may need to do indirectly by configuring the network
with the Network Manager GUI.