[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to set the domain name?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 8 01:44:49 UTC 2018

I'm afraid I can't offer any help as all my systems are on a pair of LANS.  One on the internet via  a NAT with no services.  And the other isolated and with no services (laziness).  So I don't really need a domain name.  I had one for a long time that I never ever used.

There was a day when my home network was more sophisticated than the major oil company networks where I worked.  So a sys admin who dared to say, "you can't do that" would be bludgeoned into submission by a step by step set of instructions.  After the first time, they just asked for the details.

What you describe fills we with despair because it indicates that the KISS rules that made Unix successful are not even being followed by OI.

I'm beginning to think Unix died when Sun abandoned SunOS 4.1 for Solaris.  I was quite comfortable with SysV and BSD, though I preferred the latter.

Now everything feels like some variant of Windows.  Makes me glad I'm old.  With a little luck I might die before it gets too much worse.

Reg