[OpenIndiana-discuss] web proxy server w/SSL/TLS termination (on OI)

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Dec 21 23:18:18 UTC 2018

among other things, I have a personal collection in my home of old workstations (SGI Irix boxes and earlier Sun workstations), older
Macs, etc.  For example, a recent acquisition was a Sun SPARCserver 1000e system (Sun4d), with several external drive units.  Pics here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun4d>

As most of you are aware, the web as we know it, continues to become increasingly encrypted, with older, commonly used protocols
such as SSLv3 being depreciated in favor of TLS 1.2, 1.3 and beyond.

I would like to be able to do some basic web surfing on these older boxes.  Emphasis on basic.  The reality is, its very unlikely
that anyone will ever compile a newer browser for my old stuff, and, I doubt it would have the encryption/decryption horsepower to
do so, even if modern browser software were available.

What I'm looking at doing is setting up a web proxy, and, having that web proxy also do the SSL/TLS termination.  Ideally, this
proxy software would run on OI.

As expected of anyone here, making a similar request, I did do some homework, and it seems that there are several pieces of Unix
open-source software that perform this function.   This is just one particular hit, but, sharing it as it has a nice summary list of
software that has this capability:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLS_termination_proxy>

full disclaimer:  This is not for a business, its just for me, in my home. I have no intentions of doing Internet banking or
anything else questionable.  Just want to be able to do some basic web surfing, download source code, etc.

Specifically, I'm solely wondering if anyone here has already done something like this, and, if so, is there any software in
particular you might recommend, or, recommend avoiding.   I'm basically just looking for software recommendations, from there, I can
run with the compile+technicals.  As commented earlier, what ever software I use would need to compile+run on OI.

Thanks,

Jerry