[OpenIndiana-discuss] Intel hardware

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Jan 4 19:53:15 UTC 2018

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 14:21, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 January 2018 at 13:45, cpforum <cpforum at orange.fr> wrote:
> [..]
>> The only really secure solution :  replace  your CPU !
>
> Do you mean to sparc?
>
> N.

While Meltdown may be specific to Intel, I would not assume that SPARC would be immune to Spectre.  Perhaps newer CPUs (e.g. M7 and later, with "Silicon Secured Memory") might at least complicate an attack considerably.

Given how broadly Spectre might be applicable, I'm surprised that there's no mention of at least investigating the possibilities on CPUs other than Intel, AMD, and ARM - like SPARC, Power, or for that matter the CPUs in IBM mainframes.

Granted that between lawyers and marketing, there would be a reluctance to say anything.  But to at least acknowledge investigating the possibility with followup info later would, while not actually all that informative, at least assure people that they weren't just leaving their junk hanging out.