[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_Hipster doesn't register AOC-STG-I4S/BCM57840S 10GbE SFP adaptor

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Fri Jan 12 20:24:56 UTC 2018

On 01/12/18 04:45 PM, Stephan Budach wrote:
> Hi,
>

> today, I installed OI_Hipster on my brand new Supermicro 2028R-NR48N
> NVMe server, that also contains this network card:
> AOC-STG-I4S/BCM57840S. While I got the NVMe to register correctly (24
> x Intel DC P4500 2TB), I can't get the 10GbE working, it simply
> doesn't show up on the pci bus, when running lspci, although I do see
> it flashing by in the BIOS when the system boots up.
>

> I have reset the Supermicro's BIOS to optimum defaults, but that
> didn't help either. Anyone having an experience with this adaptor and
> can suggest what else to try?
>

> Thanks, Stephan

Hello,

according to illumos HCL (https://illumos.org/hcl/) several variants of
BCM57840 are supported by the 'bnxe' driver. Not sure about the 'S' in
'BCM57840S'.

Make sure you have the driver present on the OS. Perhaps it's just that
your ID is not identified by the driver? See the current list:
https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/f7877f5d39900cfd8b20dd673e5ccc1ef7cc7447/usr/src/pkg/manifests/driver-network-bnxe.mf

Michal