[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fwd: [oi-dev] [call for testing] KPTI images

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:55:48 UTC 2018

Hi and welcome in the community

On 06.03.2018 14:48, Priyadarshan via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> Thank you very much for the clarification.
>
> I am coming from FreeBSD (since 2002, both on servers and workstations).
>
> I am just getting my feet wet with openindiana.
>
> I am studying Pro OpenSolaris, and getting to OpenSolaris Bible later,
> having my first install on a ThinkPad W541. I must say, I was impressed
> on how smooth and flawless the install was, in comparison to Win 10,
> FreeBSD 11 or even Linux Mint.
>
> From the overall feel of it I know this is home.
>
> I would like very much to contribute some packages, when (if ever)  I'll
> have enough expertise.

If you are studying the books you will definately have enough expertise.
The Packaging is made with Custom makefiles based on the current
solaris-gate.

You can find documentation here:
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland

The Source here: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland

> As I understand, then, it would be better to contribute to openindiana
> repositories, as found here:https://www.openindiana.org/packages/
>
> When the time will come, would I be able to "pester" people on this
> list, in regards to creating new packages? Or better the oi-dev list?

For packaging help you will definately get help on oi-dev. We also have
irc channels on freenode if you prefer that.

Greetings
Till