[OpenIndiana-discuss] BTX halted

Priyadarshan oi at priyadarshan.com
Sat Mar 10 15:55:52 UTC 2018

An update (posted on Issue tracker as well):

I spent several hours yesterday and today, playing around with bios
settings on both machines.

It seems there is no much hope with Asus X399 motherboard, even
switching to bios-Legacy mode and disabling ACPI.

I had more success with the HP Z620 (late 2012 model).

By setting bios SATA to IDE compatibility mode, the OpenIndiana Live USB
finally booted.

That system is running a Xeon E5 1650, with no builtin graphics, but it
has an nvidia GeForce card.

After a few seconds, lightdm fails, and issue message "default failed:
transitioned to maintenance". Then I am dropped in openindiana console
login.

Still, I finally got to boot!

But, there is another issue:

Unfortunately, when I booted the Live USB image, it forced the HP Z620
worstation, which was fine booting FreeBSD via UEFI, to Bios-legacy
mode, effectively botching the boot disk.

Mind you, I was not installing it. Just the mere running of the Live USB
image changed the boot setup to legacy mode and leaving a boitched
FreeBSD install.

Unfortunately, we do not have any non-UEFI machines here, so I will need
to wait to play more with OI when UEFI install image will be available.