[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Hipster live DVD and USB won't boot all the way

Will Brokenbourgh will.brokenbourgh2877 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:41:26 UTC 2018

Greetings everyone,

After a long time away from OpenIndiana, I have tried to come back,
however I can only run OI in a virtual machine now.  This is not ideal
and I want to run OI natively.  I really *really* want to run OI on my
bare metal, but it just hangs after the copyright and before the SMF
start stage.

I tried getting some advice from the OI IRC channel, but the folks who
were responding didn't understand my issue.  I cannot get to the
Device Driver Utility to generate a report because OI doesn't boot all
the way.

I tried using verbose and debug mode while booting and this is the
only error shown:
- - -
module /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix: text at [0xfffffffffb800000,
0xfffffffffb96d29c] data at 0xfffffffffbc00000
module /kernel/amd64/genunix: text at [0xfffffffffb96d2a0,
0xfffffffffbbdce07] data at 0xfffffffffbcae3c0
module /kernel/misc/amd64/kmdbmod: text at [0xfffffffffbd1f460,
0xfffffffffbdd4197] data at 0xfffffffffbdd41a0
module /kernel/misc/amd64/ctf: text at [0xfffffffffbbdce20,
0xfffffffffbbe6f0f] data at 0xfffffffffbe9d600

Welcome to kmdb
Loaded modules: [ unix krtld genunix ]
[0]>
- - -

Here are some of the specifics of my system:
- - -
Motherboard:
  ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3, BIOS 0502, 11/18/2016
  Video adapter: Integrated AMD RS780L [Radeon 3000]
  SATA controller: AMD SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller
  USB controller: AMD SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
  USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042A USB 3.0 Host Controller
  Ethernet controller: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit
Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
Processor:
  AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor 64-bit

Thanks in advance for letting me know what steps I should take next
(besides different hardware -- that is not economically feasible right
now).

Sincerely,

Will Brokenbourgh

Sent from my Linux desktop