[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Hipster live DVD and USB won't boot all the way

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Tue Oct 16 00:55:13 UTC 2018

On 3/10/2018 5:52 AM, Will Brokenbourgh wrote:

>> Michal
>
> Hi again Michal and Till,
>
> I finally figured out how to continue from the debugger prompt, but it
> still hangs at a certain point after that.  I was unable to make the
> debugger interactive at the hang, so I just took a picture of the screen
> and transcribed the text.
>
> I will go ahead and file a problem report and hopefully there will be
> enough information for a fix.

Hello Will,
I'm trying to do something similar to you and I think I'm seeing the
same or a very similar problem.  Got a new Gigabyte H370M D3H with an
i5, trying to install the 2018.04 OI hipster from a USB drive.  Modern
BIOS's aren't all that good at giving legacy behaviors, I think...

I get a boot menu, no matter what I select in terms of OI options, it
just hangs at "boot". No errors, not even a blinking cursor, just ..
"booting" and that's it.

Not sure where to go from here, verbose boot didn't show anything, it's
just hanging.

I've been running OI from when it was OpenSolaris, and I use it for some
Virtualbox VMs and a local CIFS fileserver. It's been *bombproof* for 10
years, if I could just get this new one to install!  I really don't want
to have to go to Linux for this.

Can anyone here point me at doco explaining how to get some debugging
going in the boot process?