[OpenIndiana-discuss] MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3 for hipster

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:14:22 UTC 2018

On 10/15/18 09:04 AM, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
> On 10/14/18 17:12, Michal Nowak wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as part of preparations for the 2018.10 snapshot, MATE 1.20 and GTK+3
>> 3.24.1 were published to the hipster repo. Once you update you system,
>> you will have them.
>>
>> If you have a custom theme which worked with MATE 1.18 it may not work
>> with the updated GTK+3. In that case you may revert in "Appearance
>> Preferences" to a stock MATE theme or to our default Nimbus one.
>>
>> Michal
> Hi Michal,
>
> I have update OI this morning and after boot, I am faced with 6-7 time
> higher load on box, running nothing!
> It is impossible to run anything, even terminal - because I have to wait
> 2-3 seconds for response.
> I did not bother to analyze, just reverted to previous BE...
>
> Top processes shows
> * /usr/lib/amd64/mate-settings-daemon/mate-settings-daemon
> * caja
>
> as most busiest ones... Terminator (terminal emulation) is so slow (as
> well as whole system) and irresponsible that I just gave up.
>
> Do you have any idea what could be causing it? Or how to check what is
> show stopper?
>
> BTW, this is latest change I have catch up with BE update:
> https://hipster.openindiana.org/jenkins/job/oi-userland/4254/changes

Hi Predrag,

would you mind starting the BE with MATE 1.20 again if the problem is
still there? I used to see a problem where caja misbehaved like you
described, it was enough to terminate it with `caja --quit` (perhaps you
can SSH to the system). caja should restart automatically afterwards.

Knowing recent lines from ~/.xsession-errors might be of help too.

Thanks,
Michal