[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgraded to VirtualBox 5.2.20

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:39:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 10/22/18 07:35 PM, russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Upgraded to VirtualBox 5.2.20 yesterday, this works fine on the BE
> completed on the 11th July but still get the lockup and reboot on any
> later BE.

I know it bothers some of you guys, that VirtualBox does not work on
OpenIndiana anymore, but please take into account that VirtualBox is
meant for Oracle Solaris 11 and when it worked on illumos it was just by
an accident. The more illumos diverges from Solaris heritage (and
mitigating Intel bugs in "helped" here a lot), the worst for VirtualBox
on illumos.

Those who can, please, don't hold your breath and consider migrating to
illumos KVM. This is in many respects saner, safer, and more supportable
solution moving forward.

> As aside I also managed to get ESXi 6.5u2 (the last supported release
> for my CPUs) running within VirtualBox 5.2.20 as a VM, a 300GB IDE
> drive, 4 cpus and 4 Intel 82543GC (Pro/1000 T) interfaces. While the
> Intel 82545EM where identified correctly, no traffic was transferred.

I tested latest OI on both VirtualBox 5.2.18 and ESXi 6.5, and the
default Intel NIC and the default ESXi one, respectively, worked fine.
Too much layers of virtualization I am afraid :).

Michal