[OpenIndiana-discuss] hipster serial console via IPMI

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at hamachi.org
Fri Oct 26 04:32:09 UTC 2018

On 10/25/18 14:02, Gary Mills wrote:
> It shouldn't matter what operating system is running on the Supermicro
> system, at least for BIOS output.  Do you get that output?  Once the OS
> boots, it configures ttya and ttyb for I/O on the hardware serial ports.
> Putting the console on ttyc might solve your problems.

I have serial console set up on an old-ish supermicro system.  The IPMI
widget on the supermicro system "owns" ttyb, initially doing
screen-scraping from the VGA port but the screen-scraping cuts out when
the software being booted opens the device itself.

I have the loader switch over to using serial at 115200 bits per second
with the following in /boot/loader.conf.local:

console="ttyb"
os_console="ttyb"
ttyb-mode="115200,8,n,1,-"