[OpenIndiana-discuss] hipster serial console via IPMI

Carsten Grzemba grzemba at contac-dt.de
Fri Oct 26 06:23:08 UTC 2018

<signaturebeforequotedtext></signaturebeforequotedtext>
On 25.10.18 23:03, Gary Mills  <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 06:15:15PM +0000, Carsten John wrote:
> >
> > I'm struggeling to get serial over lan via IPMI on Supermicro
> > mainboards running with hipster.
> >
> > As long as OI used grub I had a working setup.
> >
> > After moving to BootForth this does not work any more.
> >
> > The recipe at http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/common-tasks/
> > does not work for me.
>
> I have a system with a Supermicro motherboard and another with a Tyan
> motherboard. Both have a VGA device that converts text to serial,
> with a separate ethernet port dedicated to this device. I use ipmitool
> running on a third system to connect to these ethernet ports. Is that
> similar to what you have?
>
> It shouldn't matter what operating system is running on the Supermicro
> system, at least for BIOS output. Do you get that output? Once the OS
> boots, it configures ttya and ttyb for I/O on the hardware serial ports.
> Putting the console on ttyc might solve your problems.
> <signatureafterquotedtext></signatureafterquotedtext>

I use a Supermicro X10SLM-F which works with loader via SOL:

BIOS:

 pre.western { font-family: "Courier New",monospace; }pre.cjk { font-family: "FZSongTi",monospace; }pre.ctl { font-family: "Courier New",monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }a:link { }code.western { font-family: "Courier New",monospace; }code.cjk { font-family: "FZSongTi",monospace; }code.ctl { font-family: "Courier New",monospace; }

Terminal Type [VT-UTF8]Bits per second [115200]Data Bits [8]Parity [None]Stop Bits [1]Flow Control [None]VT-UTF8 Combo Key Support [Enabled]Recorder Mode [Disabled]Resolution 100x31 [Enabled]Legacy OS Redirection Resolution [80x24]Putty KeyPad [VT100]Redirection After BIOS POST [Always Enable]

$ eeprom
keyboard-layout=Unknown
ata-dma-enabled=1
atapi-cd-dma-enabled=1