[OpenIndiana-discuss] kde on openindiana

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:19:17 UTC 2018

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] kde on openindiana, Martin Lindkvist...:

> So if anyone can point me in the right direction... where to find KDE i
> would be happie ... or is it that i have to compile it and is it anything
> that I have to think about when i compile on Unix compared to if i compile
> it on GNU/Linux?

It's a very small group of people that are currently advancing the parts
of OI that are only present on OI.  Everyone likes choice and flexibility,
but packaging and testing multiple graphical desktop environments would
reduce the time that the core contributors could spend on other things.
They've settled on MATE as the single desktop environment they want to provide.

Keep in mind too that they have their own reasons for using and
contributing to OI, so spending a bunch of time porting, building, and
packaging something that they won't personally use is probably not very
appealing.

People with the time, drive, and interest to contribute other environments
are welcome, but something as big as KDE isn't a contribution that's
ever "done".  It's a bit of a long-term commitment to try provide a second
graphical desktop environment.  It would be counterproductive to have
one KDE version packaged and provided but then have it go un-maintained and
bit-rot or have security issues go unpatched.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)