[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS idiom for local packages with no dependencies

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 13:43:42 UTC 2019

Hi Tim

IPS implements package deprecation differently than any other known
Packaging system. Packages get deprecated centrally by the Openindiana
Developers. There are never locally installed Packages that are not in
the Upstream Repository unless you are using beta software from other
publishers like userland. Our Development Publisher/Branch. In which
case you can do "pkg list | grep userland" to find all package

What you are talking about is when our base requirements change but the
old Package is still viable for certain use cases. But maybe not yours
and you want to get rid of it. This you will have to do manually

We may at some point also obsolete gcc-49 but not now. If we do so IPS
will automatically clean your system from any obsoleted packages.

What I imagine your search will find are any packages that are not
dependant on other packages. Which I am assuming are quite a lot. gnu
find coming to my mind. And I doubt you want to remove them all. Sou you
would need to filter further. Also you will not find any that have no
dependency after the first run. And Lastly you will probably not find
consolidations which will prevent you from removing quite a few packages
anyway.

The best way to get rid of unwanted software is IMHO to look at pkg list
manually and remove any you don't want. But unless you are changing a
desktop system to a Server system or removing all Development Packages
required for userland Packaging your gain in Space will be a few hundred
Megabytes at most. We do not have that many packages after all.

Hope this helps
Greetings
Till