[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS idiom for local packages with no dependencies

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Feb 12 00:19:22 UTC 2019

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS idiom for local packages with...:

> Hi Tim

Thanks for the response, Till.

> IPS implements package deprecation differently than any other known
> Packaging system. Packages get deprecated centrally by the Openindiana
> Developers. There are never locally installed Packages that are not in
> the Upstream Repository unless you are using beta software from other
> publishers like userland. Our Development Publisher/Branch. In which
> case you can do "pkg list | grep userland" to find all package
>
> What you are talking about is when our base requirements change but the
> old Package is still viable for certain use cases. But maybe not yours
> and you want to get rid of it. This you will have to do manually

Yeah, that's the main use case I had in mind.  I had expected there to
be more "left-over" packages than there actually are.

> What I imagine your search will find are any packages that are not
> dependant on other packages.

I was actually looking for the opposite: packages that are not required
by any other package.  In a dependency tree, these would be the "leaves".

However, most packages that I would have guessed would be "leaves" are
actually required by userland-incorporation or some other incorporation,
so they are effectively "required".  I know that it's possible to remove
the dependency, for example if I want to test an alternate or updated
version of a package I've built locally, but that's outside of the scope
of what I was trying to do here.

> And Lastly you will probably not find
> consolidations which will prevent you from removing quite a few packages
> anyway.

Consolidations do indeed prevent removal of lots of packages that would
otherwise be "leaves" on the dependency tree.  That's fine for me, since
I'm not trying to minimize the OS size, just clean up anything that may
have been "required" at one time but is still installed but no longer
required.

> The best way to get rid of unwanted software is IMHO to look at pkg list
> manually and remove any you don't want. But unless you are changing a
> desktop system to a Server system or removing all Development Packages
> required for userland Packaging your gain in Space will be a few hundred
> Megabytes at most. We do not have that many packages after all.

What got me started looking at this was the fact that even after the
latest pkg update, I had developer/gcc-49 installed, even though I know
that a later version is now the default for userland package builds.  As
you said, developer/gcc-49 is still viable, it's just not the default
any more.  I thought maybe there would be a bunch of other packages like
that.

When I started looking at the output of 'pkg list', I noticed that I had
two different versions of perl installed, plus a bunch of modules for
each.  I initially assumed that was because some pkg update had switched
the default to be runtime/perl-524 , and that I could manually clean up
all the older 522 stuff.  It turns out that's not correct.  Right now,
OI requires that both are installed.

As you've indicated, there's just not much cleanup of "obsolete" versions
to do.

Thanks,

Tim

> On 06.02.19 22:43, Tim Mooney wrote:
>>
>> All-
>>
>> Anyone know a good way to find all locally-installed packages that aren't
>> listed as a dependency for any other locally installed packages?  I
>> can iterate through the contents of 'pkg list' and run 'pkg search -l -o
>> pkg.name depend::<each package here>', but is there a better way?
>>
>> As I've applied updates to hipster over the years and the defaults change
>> from something like developer-gcc49 to developer/gcc-6, it's sometimes
>> the case that some old packages are kept, when I don't really need them
>> any longer.
>>
>> Short of doing a fresh re-install, I'm just looking to do some cleanup
>> of packages that have been replaced with a newer version that might be
>> under a different name.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tim

Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)