[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool replacing forever

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 20 15:11:25 UTC 2019

The status of rpool is like this:

            NAME                STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
            rpool               DEGRADED    23     0    15
              mirror-0          DEGRADED    46     0    30
                replacing-0     DEGRADED     0     0    20
                  c5t0d0s0/old  FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
                  c5t0d0s0      ONLINE       0     0    20
                c5t1d0s0        ONLINE       0     0    76

    errors: 5 data errors, use '-v' for a list

To get here, I initially had a single SSD as rpool.  It had started
developing errors.  The number of errors was increasing.  That was
c5t0d0s0 .  I installed a second SSD, c5t1d0s0, and added it to rpool,
making it a mirror.  The resilver copied all of the data, including
the errors.

Then, I removed the bad SSD and replaced it with another new one, at
the same device name.  I started the replacement with the command:

    # zpool replace -f rpool c5t0d0s0

That started another resilver, as I expected.  However, it didn't
remove the old SSD from the mirror.  As far as I can tell, it did
copy all of the data.  What do I do now?

All five of the data errors are either in old snapshots or old BEs.
I can destroy them, if that will help.