[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool replacing forever

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 16:23:31 UTC 2019

I think you need to do a "zpool remove".  It's been a while since I did something similar, so RTFM first.

 Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool replacing forever
 To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
 Date: Sunday, January 20, 2019, 9:11 AM

 The status of rpool is like this:

             NAME
             STATE
  READ WRITE CKSUM
             rpool
            DEGRADED
 23     0    15

 mirror-0          DEGRADED
   46     0    30

 replacing-0     DEGRADED     0
    0    20

   c5t0d0s0/old  FAULTED
 0     0     0  corrupted data

   c5t0d0s0      ONLINE
    0     0    20

 c5t1d0s0        ONLINE
    0     0    76

     errors: 5 data errors, use '-v' for a list

 To get here, I initially had a single SSD as rpool.  It
 had started
 developing errors.  The number of errors was
 increasing.  That was
 c5t0d0s0 .  I installed a second SSD, c5t1d0s0, and
 added it to rpool,
 making it a mirror.  The resilver copied all of the
 data, including
 the errors.

 Then, I removed the bad SSD and replaced it with another new
 one, at
 the same device name.  I started the replacement with
 the command:

     # zpool replace -f rpool c5t0d0s0

 That started another resilver, as I expected.  However,
 it didn't
 remove the old SSD from the mirror.  As far as I can
 tell, it did
 copy all of the data.  What do I do now?

 All five of the data errors are either in old snapshots or
 old BEs.
 I can destroy them, if that will help.

 --
 -Gary Mills-